Hope you got a quite a good idea about what is Mozilla’s plan for this year. Mozilla’s rapid release cycle is working really well for them. In our previous post we discussed about How to Get Hands on Firefox 5 Beta before the official release.
Well all that was possible because of the latest feature added by Mozilla Team in their Aurora build which is called as “Channel Switcher“. Using this switch user can switch between with release, beta and aurora build anytime they like.
OK now! Have you tested Firefox 5 Beta? Is everything working fine? Yes! Are you sure?
If you ask me, I’ll probably tell I just hate one feature in Firefox which they never fix as soon as new version is available!
Puzzled? You got to be. Because even you would have seen this and left as such.
Have you ever thought about why your Add-on/s is not compatible for latest update? Well Firefox is just lazy about updating it and blames developer should update and test it. But frankly speaking, Mozilla takes long time to release SDK for that latest release!
Because of all this reasons, obviously users won’t get their favorite compatible Add-on for months.
How can I make it compatible?
As title says, today we are going to show you how you can enable the incompatible add-ons in latest build of the browser (Aurora/Beta/Release).
Following are the steps you should follow to get your add-ons compatible,
- Step 1: Open you browser and type “about:config” in address bar
- Step 2: Click on the button “I’ll careful, I promise!” button
- Step 3: Right-click and Choose New -> Boolean
- Step 4: In the Pop-up type or paste “extensions.checkCompatibility.X.XX“. Here “X.XX” means, version number show in the about dialog. Eg. If your browser is of version 5.0a1 then just type “extensions.checkCompatibility.5.0a“. Similarly you can do for other versions. Press enter.
- Step 5: In the next pop-up, select false.
This disables compatibility checking and reactivates all your add-ons. But be careful, some add-ons may not work and may crash your browser as you are modifying configuration file. Use at your own risk!
Here we got an another tip which can keep them strong enough in browsers war!
Some of them are working really fine for us. Please share your thoughts or feedback if you tested this tip